HUMPPP DAAAYYYY! Half way through the week and we’re cruising along to FRI-YAY! I feel like by Wednesday, everyone deserves a little treat to rev themselves up and finish off the week strong. So what’s a better treat than a delicious, decadent ice cream-esque smoothie fully packed with nutrients that’ll give you the energy to own the rest of your week?!
And BONUS: You can also treat yourself with actual ice cream and/or wine (#winewednesday) as well because this treat has no tricks! (ugh I know, such a lame dad joke, sorry not sorry)
It’s no surprise to anyone who follows me on instagram that smoothies and smoothie bowls are one of my favorite breakfast, lunch and sometimes even dinner recipes. I love that you can play around with ingredients and toppings based on what you’re craving that day (although I’m usually always craving PB and chocolate, let’s be real) plus they’re super easy and quick to whip up before you fly out the door and conquer your day! I also like mine THICCC so I load ’em up with a variety of frozen fruits and veggies that make it more like ice cream consistency than liquid.
Making your own smoothies are also a much better way to A) Save yourself the $10 dollars that you’ll be charged buying one and B) You have the power to control the ingredients, portions and consistency. Even smoothies that are full of nutrient dense and ‘good for you’ foods can add up in calories & fat if you don’t watch the portions.
Below is one of my go-to favorite smoothie recipes loaded up with protein, vegetables and fruit but tastes like a peanut butter & chocolate milkshake…is there anything better!? No, I didn’t think so.
Peanut Butter & Chocolate Protein & Veggie Smoothie
- ~1/2 cup of frozen spinach
- ~1/2 cup of frozen cauliflower rice
- ~1/4 cup of frozen butternut squash
- ~1/2 cup of frozen blueberries
- 1/2 banana
- 2 tbsp of cacao powder
- 1 scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp of Amazing Grass Supergreen Powder (optional if you just want an extra dose of nutrients)
- 1 tbsp of peanut butter (or any nut butter you like)
- Dash of cinnamon
- About 3/4 cup of almond milk depending on how thick you want it
- Topped with more PB and granola (I personally like Purely Elizabeth, Granola Factory & Nature’s Path Organic) Also, little pro tip for ya…fill the bottom of your mason jar or bowl with more granola or topping of choice so that way you’ve got yourself a little treat when you’re nearing the end of the smoothie…you will NOT be disappointed!)
Blend it all up and ENJOY!!!
Another little pro tip for you regarding cleaning your blender afterwards. Wash it out with warm water then squirt a little soap directly in the blender, refill about halfway with water again then turn it on and make yourself a little soap smoothie! Cleans it right up! You’re welcome 🙂