Baked GF Chicken Parm
Ahh chicken parm, the quintessential comfort food. I’m not sure there’s really anyone who doesn’t do a little happy dance when they see a plate of melted cheese, red sauce & breaded chicken cutlets coming their way…cozy, satisfying + beyond delish! My gluten free baked version of this classic dish is breaded with a paleo GF flour, panko + flax seeds, topped with grass fed Buffalo mozzarella and served alongside a sauce loaded with veggies. Just as delicious + flavorful as the traditional version but a little bit more nutrient dense!
Give this dish a try + let me know what you think! What’s your favorite comfort food?!
Baked GF Chicken Parm (serves 6)
3 8oz chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 3 8oz chicken breasts sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1/4 GF cup flour – I used this Paleo Baking Flour but you can sub any kind you prefer
- 1/4 GF panko bread crumbs (can sub regular panko if not gluten free)
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp of each–garlic powder, oregano, basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 7oz ball of Buffalo mozzarella cut into 6 1/4 inch slices
- Homemade or store bought marinara sauce–I used Primal Kitchen tomato basil
- 2tbsp avocado oil
- 1 yellow squash
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups spinach
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with avocado oil (or any cooking spray you use)
- Combine flour, panko, flax meal, parmesan cheese and seasonings in a bowl, whisked eggs in another bowl
- Dip chicken breast in egg mixture and then flour mixture and place on baking sheet. Repeat for all chicken breasts
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until chicken reaches internal temperature of 165 degrees
- While chicken is baking, saute garlic, onions and squash in a pan with avocado oil, about minutes. Add in spinach and sauce and simmer.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, take out of the oven and spoon about 1tbsp of sauce, top with mozzarella slices and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken with pasta sauce and veggies over zoodles or your fav GF pasta!